once, I tried to write a linguistics midterm project. Actually, this all happened much more recently: I delved into the project in early November, struggling to force Aiolic patterns of verse onto a stress, not syllable-based, language. That is to say, I tried to make ancient poetry patterns fit with modern English. It… worked, to a certain degree. I bent a few rules, invented some new ones, tweaked a few ideas, and eventually I created this series of quatrains that more-or-less fit Aiolic patterns.
That, of course, came after many failed attempts. The first of these failed attempts somehow ended up developing into something somewhat larger than what I had in mind at the time: it morphed into this longer, rhyming, more thoughtful poem over the course of a few drawn-out hours.